Sunday, August 8, 2010

it's gettin' hot in here

Last night we had our leadership meeting and we learned about being a thermostat or a thermometer. Am I setting the temperature, or am I being set by someone or something else? Am I reflecting God or the world? Those questions raised a challenge, a hunger inside of me. What is the atmosphere around me like and who is the main influence? Christ in me, or he who is in the world?

It made me consider situations I never thought much of, like work. When the complaining starts, it is so easy to join in. We all have things we don't like. I realized I was missing an opportunity to speak life into a person or situation. I realized I wasn't shining God's love. Even my silence isn't ok. We all know the term, "when you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." It made me think, am I really being a light when I am silent? OF course not, I am allowing the atmosphere to stay the same, just not stepping out to raise the temperature.

This is something we should all be looking at in our lives. From friends, family, school, work, sports teams, etc. who is setting the temperature? Are we spreading the love of God and walking in the Spirit? Is that causing an overflow of love and grace to those around us? Are we bringing life to everyone we meet and encounter? These were all questions in my mind, ones God wanted me to answer. To be honest, truly honest with God, I answered no. I don't always set the temperature, sometimes I am a thermometer, I am reflecting the people around me, not reflecting God. The term Jesus Freak pops in my head so I water down what's in my heart. The truth is, if I want to see my generation live for God. My generation be changed and live in freedom, I can't water down the truth and love God has placed inside me. Just because I feel people won't understand me, or really care about what I feel, doesn't mean I shouldn't say or do what God asks. How can I ever influence people towards Him when I am not stepping out and closer to God?

I challenge you today to look at yourself. Not your friends or parents or teachers or pastors. Look at you. Are you influencing others? Second, what kind of influence are you? Are you bringing life and love, or just leading them into the world? Are you a thermometer and being influenced by everyone but God? These questions are so important for our own personal growth in our relationship with God. I challenge you to take inventory of yourself and take the next step.

-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment